Senior Backend Engineer
About Ukio |
We are one of the most promising startups of 2023 with headquarters in Spain. We were founded in Barcelona, and since then, we've expanded to include offices in Madrid, Lisbon, Berlin, and Paris. This is only the beginning as we've got our sights set on spreading to the rest of Europe and later to include other continents as well 🚀.
Ukio's mission is to empower individuals to live where they want, when they want 🌎. We do this by disrupting the traditional residential real estate market, providing fully furnished and artfully designed apartments for stays starting at one month. We remove all the hassle around finding a rental with no long-term contracts, security deposits, broker fees, moving/buying furniture, etc., giving choice and flexibility to allow people to plant their roots anywhere 💥.
Backed by Europe's best Venture Capital firms, this year will be vital in our growth as we look to further build out our team, further establish ourselves in our current markets, and expand our reach into multiple new markets 🔥. We are currently ranked in the top 10 startups in Spain by Linkedin, and we have successfully raised a Series A investment round of €27 million that will help propel our growth throughout Western Europe and bring us closer to reaching our goals🥇.
Our culture |
We honor diversity, compassion, and honesty above all else in our team. We’ve already got a great mix of dedicated, collaborative, and results-driven people and are looking for more like minded folks to join our team. In true startup fashion, we always embrace the unknown and grant full autonomy to our team members to act as the owners of their projects and tasks. We are creators who embrace dynamic environments and take on and build up projects from scratch.
Our team is composed of everyone from foodies to athletes, adventure seekers to art buffs. We know fun, and we always have a team event on our calendars, so are you ready to join us?
This is a unique opportunity to see out and work in developing Ukio's products from very early conception to the final stage. Working 100% remotely you will join a highly skilled, forward-thinking team working in a cross-discipline manner. As a start-up, and with Ukio’s unique culture you can expect an exciting environment, with a lot of room for innovation, new ideas and suggestions. You will work on developing and maintaining the company's main commercial platform, our website, which is being refactored entirely before we can continue adding more features. You’ll have a significant impact in helping us bring more users to our website and fine-tune our conversion funnel.
- Responsible for the end-to-end software development process, working closely with the team to scope, design, and deploy innovative new features.
- Code review and support high quality standards, ensuring best practices are fulfilled and we release only the highest quality products
- Liaise with our product manager and the rest of the team members/leads to identify opportunities for improvement and optimization of existing projects.
- Contribute to analysis of projects including performance, diagnosis, and troubleshooting.
- Act as an example to others in your team, encouraging and mentoring Junior Engineers in your craft.
- Objectively explore multiple approaches and recommend the best technical direction including logic and reasoning.
- Empathize with our users to have a deep knowledge of their problems to provide excellent solutions to real problems.
About you |
- 5-10 years working experience in a professional programming position
- Experience with any dynamic typed language
- SQL is a basic tool in your toolset and you feel comfortable using it
- Understand the importance of testing and the tradeoffs between different types of testing
- Attention to detail and problem-solving ability
- Ability to analyze data and communicate ideas clearly so the whole team, not only engineers, can be in the loop
- Ability to independently learn new technologies.
- Proven ownership of an engineering initiative.
- You’re used to short feedback loops, so you deliver small and fast features
- Fluent English is required
- Flexible, resilient and content with ambiguity and changes.
- Confident with working in cross-functional teams.
- Comfortable performing in a start-up environment.
- Bonus points if you have experience with AWS and with Elixir
Ukio's life benefits |
- Flexible schedule
- Fully Remote (work from home)
- Investment in your learning and development
- Private Health Insurance
- Employee Stock Options Plan
- UKIO Anniversary gift
- A challenging job at one of the fastest growing companies in Europe
- Competitive annual gross salary, to be determined in line with your knowledge and experience
- International working environment with many different nationalities
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Team events and an amazing internal culture
Ukio's culture promotes and values each individual's contribution. Diversity and inclusion, it’s a big topic for us, as such we encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
Sky's the limit for us. We're here to revolutionize your life. Be part of this revolution 🔥
We look forward to receiving your application!